Die Registrierung ist deaktiviert
The holiday residence "Al Castello" welcomes you to Aiello. A small place in Friuli that is worth discovering. Its history is closely linked to the Habsburg Empire, the sundials and the museum of the peasant culture of imperial Friuli.
From the Belvedere-Tower the view stretches south over the low Friuli plain and north to the high peaks of the Julian Alps.
For his guests, the owner has adapted a side wing of the castello with all comforts. The rooms are located on two floors. The striking tower serves as a staircase and the top floor is used as a studio for artists and can be accessed by guests at any time.
Each floor has 2 bedrooms ensuite, one of which can be used as a family room for 4 people, a living-dining room and a kitchen.
The two floors can be used independently, have very large rooms each with LCD satellite TV and free WI-FI. Each floor can also be used as a holiday flat for 4-6 people.
a pleasant countryside setting with over 100 sundials (which identify it as the village of sundials), various walking and cycling trails, the Museum of the Peasant Culture of Imperial Friuli and over 90 shops in the Outlet Village of Palmanova.
Check in: Anytime, by appointment
Nearest town, shopping facilities: Aiello 200 m, Cervignano del Friuli 6km
Outlet Palmanova: 2 km
Railway station: Cervignano del Friuli 6km
Airport: Trieste 20 km
Motorway Palmanova: 5 km
Restaurant: Aiello, 200 m
The first reliable information about the castle dates back to 1589, when the Rabatta family, a noble family of Tuscan origin from Gorizia, acquired the fortress. At that time, the southern tower with a first building block most likely already existed. The building remained in the possession of the Rabatta family for 170 years, during which time it was extended.
In 1760, the castle was sold to the Marquis de Bona of Ragusa from Dalmatia, who made it his residence and probably enlarged it, creating the present shape of a quadrangle. It subsequently passed into the possession of the Counts of Strassoldo di Chiarmacis for a few years, until it was finally bought in 1810 for 10,000 Augsburg florins by the Urbanis family from San Daniele del Friuli. At the time, the castle also had a noble chapel dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel, which was destroyed by fire in the 19th century. In the early twentieth century, the family moved to Udine and the building fell into disrepair.
In the 20th century, the building was owned by several families, divided up and used for various purposes: as an Austrian gendarmerie, a chair factory, a kindergarten and, during the First World War, as a field hospital, a number of tents were set up in the courtyard to care for wounded soldiers from the trenches of the nearby front.
One of the owners was Ludovico Martinelli. His beautiful daughter Caterina loved to stroll in the rose garden, picking roses and watching bees.
The gardener had a son, Giacomo, who also loved roses and often helped his father in the garden. This is how Caterina and Giacomo met and fell in love.
One day Giacomo gave Caterina a very fragrant rose, which she hid in a small wooden box together with a drawing of the castle.
Years passed and Caterina married a noble lord in the chapel of the castle dedicated to the Archangel Michael and lived happily with him in the Castello di Aiello. Giacomo, out of grief over the marriage, went astray and was sent to prison. When he was released, he wanted revenge because he could not overcome his love for Caterina. He set fire to the door to the chapel and the whole castle burned down. Giacomo ran away and was never seen again. Caterina and her husband rebuilt the castle and made it a habit to look up at the sky in the highest room of the tower at midnight and wait for a sign of light from St. Michael. The archangel gave the two a sign and blessed their love again.
Still today it is said that if you look up at the sky of Aiello from the castle tower at midnight and see a sign of light, it means that the Archangel Michael is blessing you and your love.